Cii Forum
Please login.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cii Forum
Please login.
Cii Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The forum for the program Cii (Wii PC).

I just created the forum. Please come back often and post!

You are not connected. Please login or register

On topic of networking.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1On topic of networking. Empty On topic of networking. Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:36 pm

link3000

link3000
Cii Adept Gamer
Cii Adept Gamer

Nicholas asked me to make a topic explaining the Online Shop and the program communication we'll be using.

First of all, we'll be using 39dll.dll.

Online Shop-

The online shop will be fairly easy. The game is made by the user in a separate API, which is then exported along with resources into its own file. The file is then submitted to the server database for unconfirmed entries. The submission waits there until a mod or admin comes along and rates it yea or nay. Most games will get through easily; as this system is just to prevent 'creative' users from putting
Code:
while 1 screen_redraw();
into their game.

The coding for this system should be as easily done as it is said. It only requires for the client to connect to the server computer via TCP-IP connection, where it can then download the latest news and look at games, backgrounds, and music. When the client finds something they want, they send the server a download query, and the server responds by searching up the query in its database, and transferring the game file and its resources to the client.

Of course, this all COULD use the mplay_* functions, but that would be obnoxiously slow, and would actually complicate the matter.

Program Communication-

We have two options of program communication, we can either communicate via files, or communicate via the computer's local port (80 I believe.)

The first method is simpler, but would be slower. We can give the programs IDs and when the program writes into the file, it starts off by giving its ID. The other program getting info from the writing program can then read the ID to verify if it's the right file to read from. This method would be good if the only data transfer is for points. However, if the only file transfer was for points, the easiest way would just be to write directly to the save file, assuming the save file is custom, and not just game_save(file);

The second method is faster, but ultimately more complicated than the last. The coding would be similar to the Online Store's coding except that it would be on a local port, so internet is not needed. Essentially, this is a faster version of the last option using bit feed instead of strings and reals.

I really suggest using custom files, and saving directly to it with the shell program. Also, since it would write to the save file, and doesn't require the main Cii program to be running in parallel, which will cut down on processor usage greatly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any questions?

2On topic of networking. Empty Re: On topic of networking. Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 pm

Admin

Admin
Cii Adept Gamer
Cii Adept Gamer

That's a bit of information here! Nice job!

https://ciiforum.forumotion.net

3On topic of networking. Empty Re: On topic of networking. Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:13 pm

link3000

link3000
Cii Adept Gamer
Cii Adept Gamer

Admin wrote:That's a bit of information here! Nice job!
Thanks! I haven't been able to confirm port 80 though, although I'm almost 100% sure it is. This all took a while to write, though. Razz

4On topic of networking. Empty Re: On topic of networking. Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:14 pm

Nicholasandjim

Nicholasandjim
Cii Experienced Gamer
Cii Experienced Gamer

link3000 wrote:
Admin wrote:That's a bit of information here! Nice job!
Thanks! I haven't been able to confirm port 80 though, although I'm almost 100% sure it is. This all took a while to write, though. Razz
Wow that's a lot of info. I hope this will all work out.

5On topic of networking. Empty Re: On topic of networking. Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:21 pm

link3000

link3000
Cii Adept Gamer
Cii Adept Gamer

Ill go over coding tomorrow. Smile

6On topic of networking. Empty Re: On topic of networking. Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:12 am

Admin

Admin
Cii Adept Gamer
Cii Adept Gamer

link3000 wrote:Ill go over coding tomorrow. Smile

I'm down with that. clown

https://ciiforum.forumotion.net

7On topic of networking. Empty Re: On topic of networking. Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:54 am

Nick Kaedalus

Nick Kaedalus
Cii Adept Gamer
Cii Adept Gamer

Wow, that must have been hard to do >.<

Is it already in use?
And is it/it will be automatic? .-.

8On topic of networking. Empty Re: On topic of networking. Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:40 am

link3000

link3000
Cii Adept Gamer
Cii Adept Gamer

Nick Kaedalus wrote:Wow, that must have been hard to do >.<

Is it already in use?
And is it/it will be automatic? .-.
Nah, it was just an overview of my idea.

Not yet.
No. Wait, what do you mean?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum