Cii Forum
Please login.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cii Forum
Please login.
Cii Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The forum for the program Cii (Wii PC).

I just created the forum. Please come back often and post!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Encryption and Compression

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Encryption and Compression Empty Encryption and Compression Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:59 pm

KiteMikami

KiteMikami
Cii Trainer
Cii Trainer

Another of my "serious" topics.

From what I understand of how Cii works, or how it will work, is that when the API is working, you'd go to the shop, the shop has all the games that people have made, and you use your Cii points to download one of them, which you can then play. If you're going to do that, you're probably going to need compression, and maybe additionally either encryption or obfuscation.

For those who don't know, compression is when whatever data is being sent is "shrunk", or is taken and turned into the smallest possible packet that can still be expanded back into the original data. It does this by taking out things that don't need to be sent, and by converting the data to a smaller format. You're probably going to need this when you consider that someone making a game is going to have:

• The actual game file
  • Resources (graphics, sound, music, etc)
  • Data files (configs, saves, etc)

That's a lot of data, especially the resources. If they use lossless formats, it could get realy big. If you want reasonable download times, you have to compress the data that's being sent, You'll probably want to use one of the compression libraries that I'm (relatively?) sure that Gamer Maker has.

On the other hand, encryption is when the data is changed so as to become unreadable to a human, or computer. Encryption usually increases the size of the packets, so you'd want to do it on the files in the Cii folder rather than packets. You don't need one of the powerful encryption systems, so something small but quick is probably what you'll be looking at.

The reason you'd need encryption is very simple. If I wanted to play your games, I could simply examine how the game is done in it's API file, and reverse engineer it. If I can do it once, it'll be a cinch to just steal all the games, or, better yet, change them to give me tons and tons of Cii points.

tldr: Compress your packets and XOR (at least!) your files.

http://It's down...

2Encryption and Compression Empty Re: Encryption and Compression Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:03 pm

link3000

link3000
Cii Adept Gamer
Cii Adept Gamer

Yeah Kite, I'm using chr() and ord() and some OTP algorithms to encrypt the code and some resource files right now.

3Encryption and Compression Empty Re: Encryption and Compression Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:58 am

link3000

link3000
Cii Adept Gamer
Cii Adept Gamer

Old topic, but an update: on this sleepless night I discovered an amazing recursive algorithm that will encrypt PERFECTLY.

Also, 39dll automatically XORs the file transfers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum